- 1 (12-14 pound) whole turkey
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon dried rosemary
- 1 tablespoon dried sage
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 onion, quartered
- 1 lemon, halved
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 3 cups chicken broth
- Preheat your oven to 325°F (165°C).
- Remove the giblets and neck from the turkey cavity, and rinse the turkey inside and out with cold water. Pat it dry with paper towels.
- In a small bowl, mix together the softened butter, dried thyme, dried rosemary, dried sage, salt, and black pepper.
- Gently loosen the skin from the turkey breast by sliding your hand under the skin. Rub half of the butter mixture under the skin.
- Place the quartered onion, halved lemon, and crushed garlic cloves inside the turkey cavity.
- Tie the turkey legs together with kitchen twine.
- Place the turkey on a rack in a roasting pan, breast side up.
- Pour the chicken broth into the bottom of the roasting pan.
- Brush the remaining butter mixture over the outside of the turkey.
- Cover the turkey loosely with aluminum foil.
- Roast the turkey in the preheated oven for about 3 to 3 1/2 hours, or until the internal temperature reaches 165°F (74°C) in the thickest part of the thigh.
- Remove the foil during the last 30 minutes of cooking to brown the skin.
- Once cooked, transfer the turkey to a serving platter and let it rest for 20 minutes before carving.
- Strain the pan drippings and use them to make gravy, if desired.
Enjoy your delicious Classic Roast Turkey with all your favorite Thanksgiving side dishes!