Thanksgiving is a time to gather with loved ones and enjoy a delicious feast. And no Thanksgiving meal is complete without creamy mashed potatoes. This classic side dish is loved by all and is the perfect accompaniment to turkey, gravy, and all the trimmings.
- 5 pounds of russet potatoes
- 1 cup of whole milk
- 1/2 cup of unsalted butter
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Peel the potatoes and cut them into chunks.
- Place the potatoes in a large pot and cover them with cold water.
- Bring the water to a boil and cook the potatoes until they are fork-tender.
- While the potatoes are cooking, heat the milk and butter in a small saucepan until the butter is melted.
- Drain the cooked potatoes and return them to the pot.
- Mash the potatoes with a potato masher or a hand mixer until smooth.
- Add the warm milk and butter mixture to the potatoes and continue to mash until creamy.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Transfer the mashed potatoes to a serving dish and garnish with a pat of butter.
- For extra creamy mashed potatoes, use a ricer or food mill to mash the potatoes.
- To make ahead, prepare the mashed potatoes as directed and then transfer them to a slow cooker on the warm setting until ready to serve.
Creamy mashed potatoes are a Thanksgiving classic that never fails to please. With just a few simple ingredients and easy steps, you can create a side dish that will have everyone coming back for seconds. Whether you’re hosting a large gathering or enjoying a cozy meal at home, these creamy mashed potatoes are sure to be a hit. Happy Thanksgiving!