Creamy Vegan Cucumber Salad (German-inspired)
Creamy, German-inspired cucumber salad with fresh dill and tangy coconut yogurt. A refreshing, plant-based side for BBQs and beyond. Just 15 minutes, 10 ingredients, and 1 bowl required!
Creamy Vegan Cucumber Salad (German-inspired)Course: Side DishCuisine: HealthyDifficulty: Medium
2/3 cup finely diced red onion (or halved & thinly sliced with a mandolin* // ~1/2 medium onion as the recipe is written)
1 large clove garlic, minced
1 cup unsweetened plain coconut yogurt (we like Culina)
1/2 tsp each sea salt and black pepper
2 Tbsp lemon juice (~ 1 medium lemon as the recipe is written)
1 1⁄2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
2 tsp dijon mustard (or yellow mustard)
1-2 tsp maple syrup (to balance out the flavor)
1/4 cup finely chopped dill
1 medium cucumber, halved lengthwise, thinly sliced (~2 cups as the recipe is written)
- In a medium mixing bowl, add all ingredients except for the dill and cucumber (so onion, garlic, coconut yogurt, salt, pepper, lemon juice, apple cider vinegar, mustard, and maple syrup). Mix the dressing until smooth. NOTE: For less intense onion/garlic flavor, you can soak the onion and garlic in boiling water for 5 minutes, then strain well and add to the mixing bowl.
- Add the dill and sliced cucumber and mix again until the cucumber is well coated with dressing.
- Taste and adjust as needed, adding lemon juice or apple cider vinegar for acidity, maple syrup to balance the acidity, dill for herby flavor, or more cucumber for a less saucy dressing.
- Best when fresh. If preparing in advance, store dressing and cucumber separately in the refrigerator
- for up to 2-3 days. Not freezer friendly.
- Thinly slicing the onion is more traditional, but we found it easier to eat when finely diced.
- Adapted from The Blond Cook.
- Nutrition information is a rough estimate.
- Nutrition (1 of 4 servings)
- Serving: 1 side serving Calories: 127 Carbohydrates: 8.4 g Protein: 0.9 g Fat: 12.8 g Saturated Fat: 11.4g Polyunsaturated Fat: 0.1 g Monounsaturated Fat: 0.1 g Trans Fat: 0 g Cholesterol: 0 mg Sodium: 373 mg Potassium: 28 mg Fiber: 1.5 g Sugar: 4.2 g Vitamin A: 155 IU Vitamin C: 8.1 mg Calcium: 24.3 mg Iron: 0.8 mg