Egyptian Lentils SoupCourse: Soups, continentalDifficulty: Easy
This is a simple Egyptian Lentil Soup, it is filled with vegetarian ingredients and delicious, also packed with flavors. give it a try today and let us know how it comes out.
For other recipes and African recipes check out our other site https://www.ileoja.ca/african-recipes/
1 tablespoon sunflower oil
½ cup sliced carrots
½ cup diced tomato
⅓ cup sliced yellow onion
2 tablespoons sliced garlic
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1 ½ teaspoons ground cumin
1 ½ teaspoons salt
½ teaspoon ground pepper
2 ½ cups yellow or red lentils
9 cups water
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat.
- Add carrots, tomato, onion and garlic; cook, stirring occasionally, until the tomato has broken down and is starting to stick to the bottom of the pan, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Stir in tomato paste, cumin, salt and pepper; cook, stirring frequently, until the tomato paste is browned, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add lentils and water; bring to a boil over high heat.
- Reduce heat to maintain a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until the lentils are soft and the soup is thickened, about 25 minutes.
- Puree the soup using an immersion blender or in batches in a regular blender until smooth.