Fennel Slaw with Mint Vinaigrette
Fennel Slaw with Mint VinaigretteCourse: 1Cuisine: ItalianDifficulty: Easy
1 large fennel bulb (or 2 medium bulbs)
1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon chopped fresh mint
2 teaspoons minced shallot or onion
- Make the vinaigrette:
- Put the lemon juice, shallot, mustard, salt, sugar, and mint in a blender and pulse briefly to combine. With the motor running, drizzle in the olive oil until it is well combined.
- Shave the fennel into thin slices:
- Using a mandoline, shave the fennel into 1/8 inch slices starting from the bottom of the bulb. Don’t worry about coring the fennel bulb, it’s unnecessary. If you don’t have a mandoline, slice the bulb as thin as you can. Chop some of the fennel fronds as well to toss in with the salad.
- Marinate fennel with vinaigrette:
- Toss with the fennel and marinate for at least an hour. Serve this salad either cold or at room temperature.