Enjoy these German Christmas hazelnut cookies this holiday season – they are soft and slightly crumbly without being chewy and packed with a nutty flavor. Plus, this recipe uses just 7 ingredients, is egg-free, dairy-free, gluten-free, and ready in 20 minutes!
Hazelnut CookiesCourse: KetoCuisine: CookiesDifficulty: Medium
3/4 cup (100 g) hazelnuts ground + 16 whole hazelnuts
2/3 cup (80 g) flour I used rice flour
1/2 slightly heaped cup (70 g) powdered sugar (I used Erythritol)
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 cup (50 g) vegan butter (*see notes)
1 tsp vanilla extract
3 tsp orange juice
1 tsp orange zest (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit (175 degrees Celsius) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. I recommend measuring the ingredients in grams on a kitchen scale for this recipe.
- If using whole hazelnuts, process them in a food processor/blender into a coarse powder Then add flour, sugar, and baking powder. Blend again for about 20 seconds.
- Add vegan butter, orange juice, and vanilla extract and blend until you have a soft dough. If the dough is too dry, add a little more vegan butter.
- Use a small ice cream scoop or a tablespoon to portion the dough. Use your hands to shape the dough into balls and place them on the lined baking sheet. Flatten them slightly and press a whole hazelnut into the middle of each cookie.
- Bake the cookies in the oven for about 15-16 minutes. They will be still quite soft when you take them out. Let them cool completely and enjoy!
- Flour: I made the recipe gluten-free by using 80 grams of rice flour, but you can use regular flour or spelled flour. I do not recommend coconut flour in this recipe because it’s too absorbing.
- Sugar: I used powdered Erythritol for sugar-free cookies, but you can use icing sugar if you like. The cookies are less sweet with powdered Erythritol.
- Vegan butter: I used vegan margarine but any vegan butter should work fine. Coconut oil (softened) should work fine as well.
- Baking time: If you flatten the cookies more, they will be done a few minutes earlier. I left mine quite chubby, and therefore, baked them for about 16 minutes.
- Check the step-by-step photos in the blog post above.
- Nutrition facts calculated with icing sugar. If using powdered Erythritol, 1 cookie will have about 76 calories and 5 grams of carbs.
- Hazelnut Cookies Amount Per Serving (1 cookie) Calories 93Calories from Fat 54% Daily Value Fat 6g9% Saturated Fat 1g5% Carbohydrates 10g3%Fiber 1g4% Sugar 5g6% Protein 1g2%