Creamy, sweet, and delicious vegan flan that literally melts in your mouth. This crème caramel is a no-bake dessert that requires only 15 minutes of prep time. The recipe is egg-free, dairy-free, soy-free, and very easy to make.
Vegan FlanCourse: KetoDifficulty: Medium
1/3 cup (70 g) sugar (*see notes)
1-2 tbsp water
2 cups (480 ml) canned coconut milk can be shaken (*see notes)
3-4 tbsp (60-80 g) maple syrup (*see notes)
2 tbsp (16 g) cornstarch (*see notes)
2/3 tsp agar powder (*see notes)
Pinch of sea salt
2 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- For the caramel, add sugar and water to a small saucepan. Bring to a simmer, stirring frequently. Once it starts boiling, turn down the heat, let simmer until it’s dark golden brown and thickens, then turn off the heat.
- Quickly pour the caramel into 4 small ramekins and spread the caramel around the bottom with a spoon or simply by tilting the ramekins. Set aside while you make the custard.
- For the custard, add coconut milk, maple syrup, cornstarch, agar powder, vanilla extract, and sea salt to a medium-sized saucepan and stir with a whisk.
- Once combined, bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring frequently. As soon as it starts boiling, turn the heat to low and let simmer for 2 minutes to activate the agar, then remove from heat.
- Pour the custard into the 4 ramekins and refrigerate for at least 3-4 hours or overnight.
- To unmold the flan, gently slide a knife around the edges of each ramekin. Invert a platter on top of the ramekin and turn the ramekin and platter over (shake it carefully). Check the step-by-step photos in the blog post above.
- Enjoy! Store leftovers covered in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- Refined sugar-free version: Try coconut sugar or date sugar with a little maple syrup instead of white sugar.
- Coconut milk: You can also use lite coconut milk or a mixture of soy cream or oat cream with the addition of soy milk or oat milk.
- Maple syrup: Agave syrup, brown rice syrup or any other liquid sweetener can be used instead of maple syrup.
- Cornstarch: Arrowroot flour might be an alternative to cornstarch.
- Agar powder: Make sure to use agar powder (not flakes). If you have agar flakes, you will need to use 3 times as much (2 teaspoons).
- Recipe serves 4. Nutrition facts are for one serving.
- Vegan Flan Amount Per Serving Calories 248Calories from Fat 108 % Daily Value* Fat 12g18% Saturated Fat 12g60% Carbohydrates 33g11% Sugar 27g30% Protein 1g2%