This homemade, no-churn vegan ice cream uses a special secret (and nutritious) ingredient for creamy, thick results! Using just 6 simple ingredients, you can mix up a vegan chocolate ice cream that is dairy-free, eggless, refined sugar-free, and gluten-free – with no ice cream maker required!
Vegan Ice CreamCourse: KetoCuisine: KetoDifficulty: Medium
8.8 oz (250 g) sweet potato peeled and cooked (*see notes)
1/3 cup (105 g) maple syrup or liquid sweetener of choice
7 small (50 g) dates pitted
1 1/3 cups (320 ml) canned coconut milk full fat (*see notes)
4 tbsp (24 g) cacao powder or cocoa powder
1 tbsp vanilla extract (*see notes)
1/2 tsp instant coffee optional
Pinch of sea salt
- Cook a medium-large sweet potato. I used a white Japanese sweet potato which I boiled in a pot with water (about 15-20 minutes). However, if using orange sweet potato I highly recommend baking in the oven at 400 °F (200 °C) until it’s soft (about 45 minutes). It’s also possible to microwave the sweet potato for some minutes until soft. Let cool. The cooked and cooled sweet potato should weigh 250 grams.
- Add all ingredients to a blender or food processor. Blend until completely smooth, silky, and creamy. Add the mixture to a loaf pan, cover it with plastic wrap, and place it in the freezer. An ice cream storage container works even better. If you have an ice cream maker, then feel free to use it. The ice cream will be even creamier.
- Freeze for at least 4 hours for a soft-serve consistency or overnight. Let thaw at room temperature for about 20 minutes before serving. Enjoy! Store in the freezer for up to 2 weeks, but it tastes the best when fresh.
- White (Japanese sweet potatoes) contain more starch and less water. It’s fine if you boil them. However, orange sweet potatoes contain more water and should be, therefore, baked in the oven.
- If you don’t like the taste of coconut milk, use any other plant-based milk like cashew milk, almond milk, etc., and add 3 tablespoons of refined coconut oil.
- Adding any alcohol-based ingredients (for example 1 tablespoon of Vodka) will make creamier ice cream, as it lowers the freezing point of the mixture.
- Add 1/4 cup of melted dairy-free chocolate chips for an extra chocolate flavor.
- If you decide to swap out the full-fat coconut milk for carton milk and have issues with the ice cream freezing solid, then you can break the ice cream into chunks and blend in a blender/ food processor to reach a silky, creamy soft serve texture.
- The preparation time does not include freezing time.
- Vegan Ice Cream Amount Per Serving (100 g) Calories 196Calories from Fat 96 % Daily Value* Fat 10.7g16% Saturated Fat 9.2g46% Carbohydrates 25.6g9% Fiber 3.5g14% Sugar 15.7g17% Protein 2.2g4%