Vegan Sushi Bowls with Ginger Marinated Tofu
Easy vegan sushi bowls with marinated tofu, fresh vegetables, rice, seaweed, and quick pickled carrots! All the fresh, delicious flavors of sushi inconvenient, versatile bowl form. Just 10 ingredients are required!
Vegan Sushi Bowls with Ginger Marinated TofuCourse: Dinner, EntreeCuisine: Gluten-Free, Japanese-Inspired, VeganDifficulty: Medium
1 cup dry sushi rice (or sub-short-grain white or brown rice and increase water)
1 1⁄4 cups water
1 tsp rice vinegar
1/2 cup tamari (or soy sauce if not gluten-free)
3 Tbsp toasted sesame oil
1/4 cup rice vinegar
1 Tbsp ginger, grated (a 1-inch piece yields ~1 Tbsp or 9 g)
2 Tbsp maple syrup (optional)
14-ounce package extra-firm tofu, cut into 2 x 1/4-inch slices
QUICK PICKLED CARROTS
1/2 cup rice vinegar
1/2 cup water
1 Tbsp ginger, grated (a 1-inch piece yields ~1 Tbsp)
2 Tbsp maple syrup (optional)
1 cup thinly sliced carrots (using a knife or mandolin // 2 large carrots yield ~1 cup)
1 cup cucumber, cut into 3-inch matchsticks (1 large cucumber yields ~1 cup)
1 large avocado, thinly sliced
1 small package of seaweed snack chips or nori sheets, crumbled into a seaweed “sprinkle”
2 Tbsp toasted sesame seeds (optional)
1/4 cup thinly sliced green onions (optional)
1 cup microgreens or sprouts (optional)
Pickled ginger (optional)
- RICE: Rinse rice with cold water in a fine-mesh strainer until water runs clear. Drain and transfer to a small saucepan. Add water and rice vinegar. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low, cover, and cook until water is evaporated and rice is tender (~20 minutes). Turn off the heat and let rice steam with the lid on for 10 minutes.
- MARINATE TOFU: While the rice cooks, make the tofu marinade. In a medium bowl, whisk together the tamari, sesame oil, rice vinegar, grated ginger, and maple syrup (optional). Set aside 1/4 cup (60 ml) of the marinade for serving with finished bowls. Add the tofu to the remaining marinade and gently mix to combine and coat the tofu. Allow marinating for at least 20 minutes, mixing every once in a while to ensure the tofu is marinating evenly.
- PICKLED CARROTS: Meanwhile, combine rice vinegar, water, ginger, and maple syrup (optional) in a small saucepan and bring to a simmer. This will be a brine to quick pickle your carrots. Place carrots into a medium-sized heat-proof bowl or jar and pour the simmering brine over the carrots. Cover and place in the refrigerator to cool while you proceed.
- COOK TOFU: Heat a large non-stick skillet or well-seasoned cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat.
- Once the pan is hot, remove the tofu from the marinade and place it on the hot pan. Cook the tofu for 2-3 minutes on each side, until crispy and golden brown.
- To serve, divide the rice between bowls and top with the pickled carrots, cucumbers, avocado, cooked tofu, seaweed sprinkles, and the marinade you set aside. Option to garnish with sesame seeds, green onion, microgreens, pickled ginger, and/or wasabi. Best enjoyed at room temperature.
- Leftovers will keep stored separately in the refrigerator for 3-4 days. Not freezer friendly.
- *Nutrition information is a rough estimate calculated with 1 nori seaweed sheet and without optional ingredients.
- Nutrition (1 of 4 servings)
- Serving: 1 serving Calories: 396 Carbohydrates: 54.8 g Protein: 19.4 g Fat: 11.9 g Saturated Fat: 1.8 g Polyunsaturated Fat: 3.7 g Monounsaturated Fat: 4.9 g Trans Fat: 0 g Cholesterol: 0 mg Sodium: 2068 mg Potassium: 601 mg Fiber: 6.8 g Sugar: 4 g Vitamin A: 6633 IU Vitamin C: 7 mg Calcium: 354 mg Iron: 3.7 mg